4.7.10

Kato Unitrack turnouts

After converting my layout to Kato Unitrack, I'd like to pass on some observations about the turnouts and double crossover. Kato has a limited variety of turnouts. In fact, there are only two turnouts - 481mm radius (#4 part number 20-220 and 20-221) and 718mm radius (#6 part number 20-202 and 20-203). What is odd is that only the #4 turnouts are DCC ready. As you can see on the back side, the turnout can be re-configured from DC to DCC by changing the position of the screws. As a consequence, they are more expensive than the #6 turnouts.

The #6 turnout can be made to work as DCC after a bit of re-wiring. However, this necessitates taking the back panel off the turnout. I have not attempted this operation as my layout is currently DC. If you're interested, there is a website by Allan Gartner who describes how to convert to DCC. Unfortunately he only provides schematics, no photographs. If you're like me and lack wiring skills, you're probably better off to buy the #4 turnouts. They're only a few dollars more, but at least you can quickly switch over to DCC when the time comes. Had I known this, I wouldn't have invested in the #6 turnouts. Fortunately, I only have a few #6 turnouts. The majority are #4, which I purchased specifically for the railway station layout.

For my interchange layout section, I purchased the double cross over (part number 20-210). Like the turnouts, the cross-over works flawlessly. No derailments at all. However, the cross over is insulated and the four quadrants each have to be connected to a feeder line. This is a problem as I was only planning to operate the railway station layout with a single power unit. To make it work with only one power unit I have to pull out the cross over and put in four turnouts. It's not as clean looking as the cross-over, but it works.

All in all, the Kato Unitrack works like a charm. Like I said in a previous entry, the point of going with Kato Unitrack was its reliability and smooth operation.

No comments: