26.10.08

The platform

The temperature this week-end was too cold to do any wood work outside so the benchwork was put on hold. The forecast for next week-end is 11c, but that may change. There's a saying for Calgary, "If you don't like the weather, just wait an hour". Depending on the weather, I may have to postpone any work on the benchwork until the Spring. However, I really need to get something going this Winter so I went to the hobby store and picked up some styrene plastic for my platforms. There were two brand names for plastics - Evergreen and Plastistruct. Both are good, but Plastistruct requires using their own special adhesive. Evergreen had a pretty good variety of sizes and I was able to find strips 2mm thick and 11.1mm wide. I'll use these to establish a consistent height for the platforms. For the platform surface, I picked up 1.5mm thick sheets. I was hoping I could find 50mm wide sheets at that thickness, but no such luck so I will have to do some cutting. With the train sitting on the track and cork bed, I measured a height of 13mm required for the platform. This should be close enough.

No comments: