18.8.10

What's in a name...

The Hauptbahnhof name is starting to diminish in relevance with the addition of another Shinkansen to my collection. Maybe I should change the name to Hauptbahnhof-Shinkansen. My Series 500 order came in this week. It's a beautiful train set. I have to admit it is my favorite of all the Japanese bullet trains despite the fact I never actually rode on this particular model. Dare I say it might even beat the ICE3 in points for style. I bought the Series 700 for sentimental reason, but I suspect I'll be running the 500 more often. Here's a quick video.



Bahnhof, Estación, Gare, Nádraží, Shin, Stazione. After some thought, I decided to retain the Hauptbahnhof name despite the fact that my railway station will be home to a mix of ICEs, Shinkansens and a TGV. In Norse mythology, Hel was the last of the nine realms in the netherworld where people journeyed after death. Hel Hauptbahnhof was too good of a name to resist since my station is a terminus where passengers end their journey. I doubt anyone will get the obscure analogy.

No comments: