8.9.12

Lick of paint...

I really like the Tamiya spray paints, but they are very expensive. And the selection isn't as varied as the bottled acrylics. A bottle costs $3.00 as opposed to $7+ for a spray can. The other benefit of using a brush is that I can paint indoors any time. With spray cans, I have to wait until it is warm enough outside and in Canada, that's only during the summer. So I elected to hand paint the Faller structures for my residential block. It turns out the painting wasn't that difficult. I was worried that the paint wouldn't dry flat, but that wasn't the case provided I was careful. The hardest part was choosing colours that complemented each other. Looking at my model reminded me of my neighbourhood back in Prague. I ordered more structures to complete the other half of the residential block. Now that Autumn is upon us and Winter is not that far away, I have a renewed interest in modelling again. 

4 comments:

Jerry said...

Great color selection! And you are right, there's no way to tell how you painted these structures! Being in Seattle, we have some of the same...uhh....problems with relying on the weather outside for spray painting! I agree with you about Tamiya's paints...great stuff, but the cost of those little cans is a killer! I try to use spay paint from hardware stores when I can. They smell different (not as 'sweet' as Tamiya!), but so far they seem to work well. You are limited in the number of good building colors, but a decent alternative.

The Train Spotter said...

Hi Jerry. There are other brands like Testes sold at the local hobby stores, but I haven't found any colours that met my requirements like those offered by Tamiya. I'll likely continue using the bottles and a paint brush. The bonus is that the acrylic paints are water soluble so clean up is easy.

baronjutter said...

I stumbled upon this blog via Jerry's and when I saw that row of buildings I thought "That reminds me of my neighbourhood when I stay in Prague" and then bam, I read your comments!

The Train Spotter said...

@baronjutter

Thanks for the compliment. Where do you stay when you go to Prague? I used to live in Praha 4.