20.2.08

Muse

What is the allure of model railroading that attracts such a dedicated legion of enthusiasts? The initial allure for me was the memories of the European countryside evoked by the simple sight of a scale model of a train I had rode on.

One of my fondest memories was riding aboard an InterCityExpress as it sped northward through Germany. I had been backpacking across Europe for nearly a month and was heading back to Amsterdam to catch my flight home. The train made a scheduled stop in Köln to pick up additional passengers. I stepped onto the platform to stretch my legs and took the opportunity to study the expansive glass umbrella shaped roof that covered the platform area. I was captivated by the unique structure and turned around to look at a different section only to be awestruck by the sight of the gothic cathedral standing majestically in the background. The cathedral towered above the station like a giant sentry standing guard over its keep. It was truly a sight to behold. It was many years later before I could return to visit the interior of the cathedral.

2 comments:

Jerry said...

Great story! I have a somewhat similar experience, although rather than Koln, this was standing at Gare du Nord in Paris watching the announcement board update while surrounded by more colorful, exotic, and fascinating trains that I've ever seen in my life (for an American). I had a childhood bond with Minitrix, and this experience solidified the desire!

The Train Spotter said...

It's great to meet others who have had similar experiences! Hope you continue to travel and have those fantastic experiences. I only wish we had as an extensive passenger railway system in North America as the Europeans do.