12.11.08

Gluing and sanding

Now to glue the pieces together. Because the sheets for the platform are only 21" long, I had to glue three pieces together to make it long enough to span the table. Originally I decided to go with 4' long table, but my eight car ICE3 exceeded that length so I decided to go with a 5' table. Gluing the pieces together wasn't that difficult. The adhesive isn't really glue, but a solvent that helps to fuse the styrene pieces together. I laid two pieces flat on the table and made sure their ends butt joined tightly. Using the applicator that came with the solvent, I brushed the liquid over top of the joint and held them together for approximately 20 seconds as the instructions stated. The liquid worked its way into the joint. However, I discovered that it was necessary to let the solvent dry for about 20 minutes otherwise the joint was quite flimsy and would bend. So patience is a virtue when modeling with plastic.
After the pieces were firmly joined together, I cut 3" off the length of long strip plastic so that it was 5' in length and clamped it between a 90 degree aluminum corner bracket and a flat aluminum strip. This held the platform surface sturdy so that I could sand the edges to remove any discontinuity at the joints. Although the solvent dries clear, it is glossier than the styrene so you can see traces of the solvent at certain angles. Since these platforms will be covered by the arched trellis ceiling, I'm not too concerned. However, I will be more careful with the applicator on the next platform.
With sanding completed, I had to glue the side pieces of the platform to the top surface. Having the 90 degree aluminum corner bracket came in handy as you can see in the photograph. This will ensure that I will have consistent sides that are absolutely straight. The added benefit is that the platform heights will be consistent along its entire length as well. I picked up the 3' sections of the aluminum from Canadian Tire for under 15 dollars. While I was there I also picked up some small aluminum spring at the same time. I've learned from previous construction projects that having the right tools makes the job go so much smoother.

No comments: