29.5.10

Shinkansen Series 700 "Nozomi"

I rode the Tōkaidō Shinkansen from Osaka to Tokyo after graduating in 2000. I was visiting my friend in Kobe. The model of this particular Shinkansen is the Series 700 easily identified by its duck bill shaped nose. It was later replaced by the N700 in 2007. Johnny also brought the newer model in as part of Hobbytech's product line, but I showed restraint and just bought the Series 700 because it was the one I actually rode on. I can still remember standing on the platform and feeling the rush of air as the bullet train raced through the station. I thought people standing on the edge of the platform would be swept away, but there was no worry. The stations are designed to accommodate the increase in air pressure caused by the bullet trains. I believe the majority of the Shinkansen stations are elevated as well as the tracks in major urban centres. The other thing I remember was that interior of the Shinkansen had small cabin windows like large passenger aircraft. ICEs on the other hand have spacious windows.

This N-scale model train is built by Kato. Same manufacturer as the E4 Max I purchased earlier this year. The detailing is very good though this particular Shinkansen isn't as stylish as other Shinkansens. The only criticism I have is the material used for the couplers, which is made of hard plastic. I only wish Kato would consider using metal instead. I have a big fear that the plastic coupler might break off. I cringe whenever connecting and disconnecting the cars.




4 comments:

Jerry said...

Fortunately, replacement couplers seem to be readily available for the Japanese trains! I've had to discover this hard fact myself....

The Train Spotter said...

Where did you order your replacement couplers?

Jerry said...

MG Sharpe in the UK has a decent stock for all of the popular TGVs:

http://www.mgsharp.com/Kato_European_N.htm

Hobbysearch in Japan also seems to have a decent stock of replacements as well.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/list/256/0/1

What I am having a terrible time trying to get are replacement buffers/couplers for a Re 460 from Lemke/Kato/Hobbytrain! The only choice is the FAX them an order form with bank transfer information (which, in the US, is not supported or normal). Ug.

The Train Spotter said...

I purchased all of my Kato shinkansen trains from Hobbytech. I've asked Johnny about some of the Lemke and Hobbytrain models, but he hasn't had any luck getting a response from them. That's only with the European train sets. For the Shinkansens, he deals directly with KatoUSA and they've been very responsive. I can ask Johnny about the Re460 couplers, but you'd need to give me a part number.

I was thinking of ordering a TGV from MG Sharp, but wasn't sure about the shipping costs. Did you buy any trains from them? If yes, can you tell me how much you paid for shipping and the shipping method? I just don't want to ship by courier as the brokerage fees are too expensive.