22.5.10

Platform update

A quick update on my platforms. I finished adhering the last rib to the sixth and final platform tonight. As stated, I managed to work on one platform each night this week. It went fairly quick. I forgot to mention in my previous entry the use of a cross action curved tweezer. A must have in any tool box. As you can see in the photograph, the ribs do not extend all the way to the bottom. I left a gap for the cork underlay.

Design of the railway station starts tomorrow. I'm leaning towards a modern looking building with a front facade composed entirely of glass like the
Köln Hauptbahnhof. Fortunately, Evergreen manufactures transparent styrene plastic sheets. I'll use these for the windows, however, I'm not altogether sure how it'll work out as the sheets are very thin. Because of this, they are very flexible and will need to be made rigid. If only I could find a kit that suited my architectural requirements. A pre-manufactured kit would save me months of work. I estimate that it will take me at least that long to design and construct my own custom station. The curved roof structure will be the trickiest to pull off, but it'll provide more visual stimulation to the layout.

No comments: