29.1.11

Sniffing glue. Confessions of an addict

I jokingly mentioned in a previous entry that this hobby was an addiction and that Johnny at Hobbytech was my local dealer. After spending two weeks assembling my model cathedral I'm not so sure that isn't true. It's important to work in a well ventilated area when assembling structures as the fumes from the adhesives can make one light headed. Fortunately, most of my braincells have snuffed it a long time ago. Being incredibly dense, my head help to keep me grounded. Otherwise I'm sure I would have been crawling on the ceiling all week. I elected to use Testor's gel adhesive instead of the Kibri recommended brand. The Testor's glue cost $2 compared to $23 for the Kibri which is hard to get by the way. I discovered that adhesives are considered dangerous goods and consequently it is difficult to ship from Europe. The only drawback with the Testor's gel is that it is difficult to apply on small surface areas. I may opt for the liquid version for the Vollmer Baden-Baden station as it has a lot of small pieces.

I finished assem
bling the cathedral to the point where I can paint. I've left off the plastic windows until after I've painted. Unfortunately I missed a small window of opportunity to paint last week. It got up to 11c on Wednesday, which would have been perfect to spray paint outside. The temperature has dropped to -17c this week-end so I may have to wait until spring before I can paint. Oh well I'll begin work on the Baden-Baden station. Given how long it took to put the church together, it's going to take most of February to complete the station. There's a lot more pieces to assemble as it is a much larger structure with far more windows. In the meantime, here are pictures of the church. After working on this model, I've become a fan of Kibri and will probably acquire more of their structures.

6 comments:

Jerry said...

MAN, that is a great looking church! I think I've seen the BOX picture of this so much that I usually ignore it, but your photos really show what a great 'urban' sort of church this is! Thanks!

On the subject of solvents...I use a lot of Testors as well, and have some of the same problems you mentioned. Last summer I tried out some of this glue from Faller, and for smaller, more precision oriented gluing, its really great! It has a tiny little tube where a not too thick gel comes out in nearly perfect amounts.

Here's a link:
http://www.eurorailhobbies.com/erh_detail.asp?ca=67&stock=F-170490

The Train Spotter said...

@Jerry Thanks for the suggestion on the Faller adhesive. I have some other adhesive that I purchased when I was making the platforms. It's a liquid, not a gel. It worked well with the Evergreen styrene, but it didn't work with the Kibri plastic. I'll give it a try with the Vollmer model. I've read that not all plastics are the same.

LuisLopes said...

Is it hard to get Tamiya there? If not, you can use it, the the Extra-Thin versin: it's the small glass bottle with green cork and a small brush aplicator.

I use it on my kits from Faller and Vollmer and it works like a charm! Just get the two parts you want to glue, secure them with your hand, and then touch on the joint with brush full of glue and let it dry (take about 5min, but you can let the parts go)

http://web4.hobbylinc.com/gr/tam/tam87038.jpg

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/8951/img4501jc6.jpg

It's cleaner and easier to use than the need aplicator like Faller and Revell have.

Cheers.

Jesse said...

Wow, that's a very impressive church! Very neatly built!

The Train Spotter said...

@luis_lopes It never occurred to me that Tamiya would also have solvents. There are several stores in town who carry Tamiya products. Perfect excuse to go check them out.

@Jes Thanks for the compliment. Hopefully I can post some photos of the Baden-Baden station next month.

Jerry said...

You know, I got out my Faller glue on Sunday...and it was a liquid! I'm not sure if it turns to liquid after a while, or the cold from sitting in the garage for a couple of months, or it just needs a good shaking, but its very weird!

I've used the Tamiya as well, but haven't got the knack of it yet, I should try again!