8.9.11

Are we hoarders?


One of my colleagues mentioned a show called Hoarders. It got me wondering if this hobby I'm currently involved in might have a higher percentage of people with this condition? I know a few people who could benefit from an intervention. I'm not there yet, but I do find myself collecting stuff that just sits in unopened boxes. Take for example this plastic arcade I purchased last year. I sit here staring at it and wonder where the heck was I going to incorporate this on the layout? Oh well, at least I managed to pull it out of the box and put it together. It's not a bad little structure although I wish Brawa did a better job at the edges where the panels meet. The seams are quite visible. Mmm, I wonder if I could elevate the cathedral so I can use this? Ack! Gotta stop that kind of thinking or I'll find myself laying track into the furnace room soon.

5 comments:

Jerry said...

LOL...that's a really great question that I have posed to myself before as I start to accumulate my own little stockpile of stuff! If you've watched the show Hoarders, however, you'll note that most modellers (despite our collections) probably don't need interventions yet...unless we're keeping our collections stored with household trash, dead rats and all sorts of other stuff that really does belong in the garbage!

The Train Spotter said...

I know one fellow who expanded his layout into the utility room. He literally cut holes in the wall. It's an amazing layout. Unfortunately he can't expand anymore as his wife has restricted his hobby to the basement. He is forbidden to enter the main floor with trains. Crammed under the benchwork are boxes and boxes of trains, accessories and equipment. There's another fellow who has more trains than track. He has trains stacked up from floor to ceiling. Of course it took them decades to accumulate their collection. They're my role models!

Jerry said...

Yes, there is that! To be truthful, I do like the looks of all these boxes of vintage Kibri and Faller kits...not sure if I'll ever open them to build the (although that was my original intention), but there's a collector/speculator side of me that believes that these things are actually pretty rare and should be left untouched! Plus, the old boxes are kind of cool. So, then I need to go buy buildings already built or newer releases...and now I'm ending up with a quite a stash (my wife and joke about my 'hoarding' a bit!)!

The Train Spotter said...

Jerry, your last reply made me chuckle. Last night, I was checking out Eurorail Hobbies and found out that the Faller villa is discontinued. I had my eye out on this model for some time and decided to order one of their last two in stock. So be comforted knowing that you are not suffering alone with this condition!

Unknown said...

Hi what colour did you use for the roof