24.9.11

My addiction is getting worse...


I picked up more paraphernalia for my stash... Cough. Cough. I mean parts for the collection. As you can see in the photo, the major acquisition was the Kato city transit station with the expansion set. I had placed the order with Hobbytech a couple of weeks ago and it happened to come in today. It was a pleasant surprise when I arrived at the store to visit with Johnny. I wanted to find out how the Edmonton train show went last week-end. The Kato products sold very well and his booth was well received despite the lower attendance this year.

It took a long time to convince myself to get the Kato station. I wasn't sure it would fit on my expansion area. Yes, I'm expanding the layout. Eyes roll up. I decided to branch the lines where they cross over the bridge. The new station is going in the location circled in red. It's going to be a nice complement to the Baden-Baden station with a more modern look.

Unlike the Baden-Baden station, this station took only an hour to complete. Out of the box, it comes pre-assembled with one street side entrance, but I wanted a street entrance on each side of the station. That meant I had to pop out the window. This was more difficult than I expected. I had to remove the roof first, which was secured with four screws. This exposed the interior of the building so that I could get at the window from the inside. The window was snapped into place. I didn't want to accidentally break the wall or the window so it meant applying careful pressure to pop it out. In the end, I had to file the lip down a bit before the window would come out. Once that was done, I screwed the roof back on and attached the second stairway entrance to the station by inserting it into the opening and then pushing down on the stair unit. The stair unit slid into place perfectly.

You may have noticed that there are no platforms. I elected not to buy the platforms due to cost. They were really expensive. Instead, I will build the platforms out of styrene plastic. This will create a consistent look as they will match the platforms at the terminal station.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice writeup on the Overhead Station. I hadn't visited your site before (I noticed the current topic over on Quinntopia) and I'll have to check it out. I see you've mentioned my site on your blogs list, thanks.

KenS (SumidaCrossing)

The Train Spotter said...

Hi Ken, It was thanks to your blog and the information you provided about the station's dimensions that allowed me to go purchase this little beauty.

Alvin