5.12.08

Arched roof top


I finished the final platform last night and picked up some more styrene from the hobby store today for the truss structure. It'll be employed for the arched roof top. However, I'm still working out the design. The above diagram is my first attempt. I used a program called Inkscape to design it. Just click on the link. It's an open source program free for download. My concern with the design is whether the curved part will hold rigid enough to retain its shape. I may need to experiment with it to see what will work best. I went with square 1mm x 1mm styrene strips. It was the smallest I could get that I thought could withstand the level of flexing required for the structure. I also had to consider durability. Anything smaller and it would be prone to breaking. I definitely want something that can take some physical abuse requiring minimal maintenance. But it also has to be easy to work with otherwise I'll be cursing all winter building this thing.

No comments: