11.11.10

Lee Kwon Hobbies

Jerry from Quinntopia inquired about what a model train hobby store looked like in Hong Kong. It had never occurred to me to take pictures so I went back to Mr. Kwon's store as it was the closer of the two stores. That's Mr. Kwon standing in the doorway. He's been a fan of trains since he was a little boy and was lucky to get into it as a business. He's been selling trains in Hong Kong for many years now. As you can see, it's a very tight fit in his store with items crammed from floor to ceiling. I really want to buy that Fleischmann ICE-T, but it would cost almost $900 Canadian. I'm still humming and hawing whether to get it. It's definitely more than my limit of $750 duty free will allow.

5 comments:

Jerry said...

Awesome! The photo of the shop exterior is classic - it certainly looks just like you would expect a hobby shop in Hong Kong to look like! I also love the back story on Mr Kwon and the interior shots of his store! This is definitely one of those places I would love to visit!

I think I know about that ICE set...is this the new one with the new Multimaus as well? Well....I can certainly understand your temptation! :-)

Jerry said...

On the other hand, looks like Walter's price has dropped?

http://www.eurorailhobbies.com/erh_detail.asp?mn=5&ca=14&sc=N&stock=FL-931087

The Train Spotter said...

Hi Jerry. If I get a chance, I'll head over to Shim Shui Po to take a picture of the other place. It was pretty cool going into Mr. Kwon's store. He was very friendly as were all his patrons. They all share a love for trains.

You almost gave me a heart attack when you included that link, but the one you are referring to is the ICE 2. The one I was looking at is this one with five expansion cars.

http://www.eurorailhobbies.com/erh_detail.asp?mn=5&ca=79&sc=N&stock=FL-7460

Jerry said...

Whoops! Sorry about that! :-) I keep confusing the ICE-T with the ICE 2! (I assume for some silly reason that the "T" stands for 2!)

I have to admit, the new Eurostar version of the ICE 3 looks REALLY cool! It'll be neat to see if Fleischmann comes out with a model of that!

The Train Spotter said...

I haven't seen the new Eurostar ICE 3, but I'm sure I'll be trying to get my hands on that one as well. Someone told me there is a third train store in Hong Kong. It's on the Kowloon side.

By the way, how are your platforms coming along?