9.11.10

Sevilla to Madrid via Hong Kong

I've been on holiday in Hong Kong, hence the lack of posts lately. Who would have thought I'd be able to find the Kato model 10-719-1 here in Hong Kong. It was a little overpriced, but a perfect addition to my railway station. It will sit next to my TGV, which runs from Paris to Stuttgart. That leaves two more openings on my railway station before I have to consider expanding. Now if I can get my hands on the TGV Thalys, I'd be a happy and destitute modeler.

2 comments:

Jerry said...

That's an awesome looking train...I love the colors of these Renfe (?) TGV's!
So, how are the hobby shops in Hong Kong? Interesting place to look for hobby shops, although i get a few visits from the Hong Kong area on my blog, so there is definetly some interest in that area!

The Train Spotter said...

Hi Jerry. I wasn't expecting to find any model train stores let alone two within a 10 minute taxi ride of each other.

Commercial floor space is very tight in Hong Kong so both stores were crammed with inventory from floor to ceiling. It was difficult to maneuver in the stores.

The two stores I visited carried a lot of european trains. Mostly HO surpisingly. I would have thought N scale would have been more popular due to lack of space in most people's apartments, but not so. They carried Fleischmann, Marklin, Trix, Roco, some Brawa, Kato, Liliput. One of them even had a Mehano. I feel luck to have found my AVE 100.

The stores were very busy when I visited on Sunday. They were both open from 1-8pm. The prices in the Yau Ma Te store were comparable to Hobbytech and Eurorail Hobbies. Concorde Hobbies in Sham Shui Po was a little more expensive, but still within reason. That's where I picked up my Kato.

Both owners of the store were very friendly and spoke English. It was a great experience!