21.9.10

Stuck at the station

I thought displaying all my bullet trains on the platform module might give me some inspiration designing the station building. No such luck. I sit here pulling my hair, trying to work things out in my head. The difficulty is that I have to design something that is esthetically pleasing to look at, yet easy and quick to construct. Curvilinear lines present a challenge to schedule due to logistics, but I do like how they look architecturally.

At least the foundation connecting the individual track platforms is finished as you can see. This was influenced by my experiences in München visiting the main station. I had considered a station similar to the one in Köln, but I was concerned about the curved roof structure. The styrene plastic tends to become brittle when exposed to the solvent. The other concern is how the ceiling structure blends with the platform ceilings. I want it to be cohesive. This is fast becoming a difficult challenge. The problem stems from the limitations of the material I am working with. If only I had unlimited and unfettered access to a large scale, high resolution 3D printer. My cousin's husband mentioned a company called MakerBot, which sells a 3D printer kit you assemble yourself. I had considered getting one except the resolution is too coarse for my liking. The other drawback is it can only produce small models. Unfortunately, I have grandiose plans that exceed my skill set and free time. Sigh. Back to the drafting table.

2 comments:

Jerry said...

That's going to look amazing...love the long approach to the station!

I'm also looking forward to your progress on the platforms...this is something I need to do and haven't quite determined what I want.

The Train Spotter said...

Thanks Jerry. I'm looking forward to seeing how your station comes along too. Seeing some of your structures, I know you'll make short work of your station once you decide on what you want.